In anticipation of the New Zealand release of Ellie Goulding and M·A·C Cosmetics' upcoming collection (out in NZ on January 18th!), Ellie's make-up artist, Lucy Wearing, shared with us some wisdom about the collaboration...
The idea behind the collection was to provide more than one finish in a palette - we wanted a product that was muti-purpose and handy to have in your handbag.
- In the wake of the 'strobing/contouring' craze, this collection is more about fresh beautiful skin. However you have 'Root' in the Halcyon Days palette that you can use as a contour product. And you can still achieve the heavy 'Kardashian' look with Halcyon Nights and Blacktrack.
- For a fresh daytime look, use the Halcyon Days palette with four cream colours - you can use 'Every Time You Go' and 'Tint' to add colour to the apples of your cheeks and dot it on your eyelids. For a more sculpted finish, use the 217 Brush to blend 'Root' into the eye socket to get definition. 'Wished I Stayed' can be used as a highlight on the brow-bone, cheekbone, or on the inner corner of the eye. Use the Blot Powder to set the product and to mattify the T-Zone on the go. You can also smudge 'Every Time You Go' onto the lips.
- Halcyon Days can be used on clean skin or on top of foundation.
- You can use the Halcyon Nights palette on its own for a stronger make-up look, or mix it with the Halcyon Days palette. Or you can use the cream colour base 'This Love' underneath eyeshadow for a fresher finish.
- The Blusher/Bronzer combo 'I'll Hold My Breath' can be used as a a blusher if you swirl the brush over the whole product. Or you can use the bronzer to sculpt the cheekbones and add definition in the temples, then add colour to the apples of the cheeks with the blush. You can also use the 217 Blending Brush and apply to the eyelids as a shadow.
- You can dab the 'Pink Rebel' Lustre Drops on the cheekbones and brow-bone for a stronger highlight, or you can mix it in with a drop of foundation and your body moisturiser to get a good sheen to the skin for your body. You could also put a tiny drop into your foundation to get a dewy finish to the skin. I use this on Ellie's body for shoots, performances, and red carpet.
CDM: What's your favourite combo of products to use from the collection?
LUCY: My favourite product to use on Ellie is the lipstick 'Without Your Love'. I love the texture and the colour is beautiful - it turned out perfectly. I also love mixing the two palettes to get different intensities - I can do eyes in minutes.
CDM: And what's your #1 Beauty Rule?
LUCY: My beauty rule is: More make-up doesn't mean better make-up!!
M·A·C x ELLIE GOULDING is available from January 18th at select authorised M.A.C locations.